Sunday 5 October 2014

Stacking the Shelves / August and September Haul

I got a lot of books in September and a few in August

August

My friend Nina, my sister and our mums went on a bookshop tour in early August in London. We walked six miles (six miles!)

1. Hallucination by Oliver Sachs (Watermark Books, Kings Cross)
2. The Island of Dr Moreau by H G Wells (Skoob Books)
3. Patience by John Coates (Persephone Books)
4. The Domesticated Brain by Bruce Hood (The LRB)


Hallucination is a non-fiction book as I'm interested in neurology. It's written by the same guy who wrote The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat which is one of the key texts for Oxford Biomedical Sciences.

I read Ann Veronica and The Time Machine by H G Wells earlier this year and my friend Aimee was reading it at the time for her possible English degree.

Patience is a comedy about a woman who is catholic who's brother suddenly announces she is living in Sin. I love the Persephone Books shop as it focuses a lot on female writers and female characters. The covers are gorgeous.

The Domesticated Brain is another neurology book.

5. Austerlitz by W G Sebald

Austerlitz was sent to me by Rosianna as part of her giving-away-all-her-books and world-cup-fundraiser. Apparently it's weird, according to her postcard.



September


1. The Handy London Map & Guide
2. Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas
3. The Humans by Matt Haig
4. These Days Are Ours by Michelle Haimoff

These are the books I didn't get for my birthday.

I went to Foyles at the end of my holidays and my mum bought me The Handy London Map & Guide partly because my sister wants to know her way round London and I think partly because my phone kept running out of charge because citymapper is v energy heavy.

I also got The Humans by Matt Haig on this Foyles trip which is a book about an alien who inhabits a human's body in order to destroy the mathematical proof that would cause universal destruction.

I got Heir of Fire in the post which I preordered before I got my electronic ARC.

I bought These Days Are Ours in Blackwells in Oxford as I was in desperate need of a coming of age book. Also, the book is really pretty

I turned 18 on the 27th which was so unbelievably awesome and I got loads and loads of books.


5. Oxford Sketchbook
6. The Diving-Bell and The Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
7. The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sachs
8. Angelfall by Susan Ee
9. The Museum of Intangible Things by Wendy Wunder
10. Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy 

These are all the books I got from my friends because they are all wonderful human beings *deep breath*

I got the Oxford Sketchbook from my friend Nithya. I have the London, Singapore, Paris and New York Sketchbook's already and I was super super excited to get this one. I really love Oxford as it has definitely become my home town in the past year and a bit even though I've lived near since I was four. It's just such an amazing city.

I got The Diving-Bell and The Butterfly from my friend Miranda. It's really short because it was written by a man with locked in syndrome who can only move his head side to side and blink one eye. It was all dictated. It's so so clever.

Sif gave me The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat which is by the same guy who wrote Hallucination which I bought in August and am currently reading. Oliver Sachs is a good writer.

Nina who is *amazing* got me three books. THREE. 

So the first book is Angelfall which she has been begging me to read which I ignored but then she bought it for me. I shouldn't have ignored her because this book is awesome if a little gory. It's dystopian angel YA snarky fiction.

The other two books she got off my goodreads and got me *AMERICAN HARDCOVERS.*

The Museum of Intangible Things is about friendship and happiness and I don't know much more about it but I am so excited. I love American Contemporary YA Coming of Age books.

Side Effects May Vary is a fairly dark book about a girl with cancer who starts taking revenge on those who have hurt her, and then she goes into remission. I am so excited about this.


11. Harry Potter Film Wizardry
12. Lonely Planet's Best Ever Travel Tips

My neighbours got me these & I love them. They're pretty self explanatory but I will say the Harry Potter book includes a marauders map.


13. The Fault in Ours Stars by John Green
14. Looking For Alaska by John Green

My grandparents got me signed (I think 1st editions) John Green books and I love them and LFA especially is a book that is so important to me.


15. Macbeth by William Shakespeare
16. The Anatomy Colouring Book

My parents got me this really beautiful copy of Macbeth which has loads of paper cuttings. Macbeth is probably the favourite Shakespeare I've read

They also got me an anatomy colouring book which isn't pictured here but it's awesome. I mean it's a colouring book mixed with human biology. It's wonderful



No comments:

Post a Comment