Friday 21 February 2014

Review #15 - Richard III by William Shakespeare

Sanne posted a video with Rosianna about 10 Shakespeare plays you should read:

Richard III
A Midsummer Night's Dream (read 2008)
Othello
Much Ado About Nothing
King Lear
The Taming of the Shrew
Julius Caesar
Hamlet
Twelfth Night (read 2011)
The Tempest (read 2012)

I decided to start at the top of the list with Richard III. This is the first Shakespeare I've read out of school and I really liked it.

I loved the characters Richard and Elizabeth. Richard is such a brilliant villain and I loved Queen Elizabeth for her love and overall sass. Like literally, she's amazing. The plot involving Queen Elizabeth's sons is the part of history that I know well involving Richard III due to frequent childhood trips to the Tower of London. I just loved how positively she was portrayed and how strong she was, which could have been due to her namesake on the throne at the time.

Shakespeare is famous among school children because no one can understand any of the play but I did with Richard III which was absolutely fantastic. The writing was clear yet it still was as gorgeous as Shakespeare always is.

I had a little confusion at the beginning because I couldn't work out when Richard was going to appear and oh that Glocester seems like a douche oh wait they're the same person. Read a character summary beforehand.

This was the first Shakespeare I've read where I understood why Shakespeare is the most popular author of all time. I would really recommend it.

I gave it four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment