Sunday 13 July 2014

Review #50 - The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Wouldn't it be fantastic if I actually kept on top of my reviews? I don't understand my own notes.

Anyway, to business.

The Outsiders is a 60's book about gang violence written by a 17 year old. It at first doesn't appear to have much of a plot but then an event happens that sparks everything off. It shows a really interesting ways of looking at people in gangs and their relationships.

This book, even though very simplistic, does have a large emotional effect on the reader. It hit me a lot harder than I expected it to even though I'd been spoiled by Fangirl. I think it's because the "gangsters" are portrayed at human and real and kind and not just people you cross over the street when you see them.

The dynamics between the characters were done well. Each relationship was different and interesting because every character was unique.

It challenges stereotypes and how everyone views people who aren't like them and how the reader judges different types of people in society. One of the gangsters likes poetry for example and the poetry is soft and gentle and he carries a knife. 

It did drift on a bit but I did whip through it in an evening and that really is my only critisism.

I would recommend this if:
You love West Side Story
You like mid-century fiction but some is a bit challenging
You want a quick book

I gave this five stars.

Buy it here

No comments:

Post a Comment