Thursday 4 September 2014

Review #63 - The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

The Bone Season is a fantasy novel about Paige, a girl who is a dreamwalker in an undergroud crime circle in Scion London. However, following an event, most of this book is set in Oxford in Magdalen College.

I adored this book. A large part of my love for it comes from the setting of Oxford because it's my home town but also the way the fantasy world and the Oxford architecture are mixed is really well done. There's something very majestic about it. There's also a map at the beginning of the book which I always love.

The dialouge between two specific characters was so strong it physically gave me stomach ache while reading it. I didn't "ship it" so much as this certain male character filled a hole left in my soul by a very strong male character in Heir of Fire. I really disliked Paige as a character but it was fun to read as her. The dialouge was just very believable and sweet. 

The plot starts slowly so you learn to understand the large range of foreign terminology (it is very confusing at the beginning) but it speeds up and is maintained at a really good speed throughout until the end where it's going so fast you won't be able to stop reading.

I normally am not a large fan of books in series but this was a very complete book in its own right but I don't feel like it was too complete to have a sequel. I have preordered the sequel which will be released in January.

I would recommend this if:
You love Oxford
You want great dialouge
You want a good fantasy series 

I gave this five stars 

Buy the paperback here
Buy the hardback here

No comments:

Post a Comment