Sunday 7 September 2014

Review #64 - Adorkable by Sarra Manning

Adorkable is about a girl who is internet famous and your preppy senior school guy. And they find out their boy/girlfriend is cheating on them. It's a romance with internet culture and self identity.

The plot was well done and the pace was maintained well throughout the book. I found the style was a little too simplistic and wasn't really "literature". It was more of the type of book people read at the beach. I would recommend it to younger readers because of the simplicity of the style but the romance is pretty intense and I can't guarantee it is suitable for all younger teens.

I really enjoyed the fact the book is about self worth and individuality and accepting yourself. I don't think this is really emphasised enough in teen fiction and it needs to be because so many people suffer with a lack of confidence. And again, I think it's a shame the romance is quite adult because this would have been a godsend to me in year 7/year 8/year 9.

I did find the main female character really really annoying, especially at the beginning. I did struggle to feel empathy at first. Also the two leads hate each other at the beginning which I felt lacked subtlety. However, the dialouge was done really well.

I did feel at times that Sara Manning was a little out of touch with internet culture which was a shame because there is a lot of emphasis on blogging. I just couldn't relate to it at all and I should have because I spend far too much time on social media.

I say all of this, it was an enjoyable book to read in the same way Honey Boo Boo is fun to watch. 

I would recommend this if:
You want something light
You want a book about self worth
You want a slightly different romance

I gave this four stars

Buy it here

No comments:

Post a Comment