Thursday 23 January 2014

Access to stories

Today in chapel (yes I go to a cofe school) my maths teacher announced that we would be having a collection for a charity that donated books to Ethiopian schools because of the lack of books there. I've sort of been subconsciously thinking about this all day for various reasons.

I saw Rosianna's video about a month ago about donating all but 50 of her books to charity in which she said "I have always have access to stories." I don't know it's just daunted on me how lucky I am to have this access to books. I go to a school with a large library (most of it non fiction but I'll get on to this at another time), a local waterstones, a kindle and my parents who let me read whatever I want and support my love of reading. It just made me acutely aware of how much I get to read and I love that.

Secondly, I have an (unnamed) friend who is the sweetest who I am currently on a book lending spree with. I read The Gift by Lewis Hyde (reviews are coming) and this idea of the movement of gifts really struck me in regards to books. I just love circulating books like I read my friend Miranda's copy of When You Reach Me and her annotations just made the experience so much better. I felt like I was sharing something.

Thirdly, I am acutely aware that in a year and a half I will no longer live at home. When I leave home I will no longer have an income (babysitting) or my parents credit card details. I have been told that you are going to be a med student you won't have time for a job get a loan and I know at this point I will no longer have access to books and this will be probably the hardest thing to lose when I go to uni. But tis better to have loved and lost that have never loved at all. I am so grateful for my access to books.

I can't imagine living without books.

May access to books become worldwide and nationwide.

N.b. I am a world book day giver (more on this closer to the time) in regards to this which I am so excited by all brits can have access to stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment