Saturday 4 January 2014

Review: A Geek's Guide to Dating by Eric Smith

A Geeks Guide to Dating is what I says on the tin. But what is the difference between this and your classic "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" book?


To start with this is a book for geeks, namely comic, film and video game geeks. It is scattered with references (most of which I didn't get) and filled with geek humour and explanations. It was nice and the illustrations were gorgeous. I found the lack of book and computer and science geek references sad because that is my kind of geek but it was still entertaining. The thing is that the author mentions book and science and social media geeks but doesn't really reference to them past the first chapter.

This is basically dating for dummies. It goes through everything, including what to wear to a date (XY chromosome only, but I'll get onto that later), where to find a date and how to arrange a date. I really liked this, as a bit of a rookie to the dating world (I've been at all girls for 9 years, what do you expect?). Some of it was over simplified for people who are a bit socially incapable which was a little boring but I liked a lot of it. The guide is instructive and informative.

I really loved the geek indentififier in the first chapter and the skills you have as a result of being that kind of geek. It also tells you how those skills are good and bad in regards to dating which was really entertaining but also extremely interesting.

Oh I did have a niggle which affected my enjoyment of the book. You may have noticed, I'm a girl. This book is very male oriented. There is a side note to women but the rest of the book is very male oriented (like six pages of what men should wear to dates, nothing on what we should wear. Admittedly my mother has taught me this but still.)  I found this book hard to get along with as a result and a little redundant.

This is great for first time daters and mega geeks. Who probably should be male. Or someone who just wants a gorgeous book on their shelf.

I gave it three stars. Come on, Geeks Guide, you had so much potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment