Saturday 25 January 2014

Review #6 - When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

If you read my blog regularly/stalk me/Miranda you've found my blog you'll have seen I put this book on my Bout of Books wish list thing. I send Miranda my list and she let me borrow her copy (in exchange for Wreck it Ralph.


When You Reach Me is a book about a girl named Miranda living in New York City. One day she gets a mysterious note telling her what to do and she could save someone's life. 

The narrative is disjointed between past events and present events which I really liked especially because the kids talked about time travel through a lot of the book. The book is in first person and really captures the spirit of being a child, not just an adult narrative with simpler words.

I loved Miranda as a character. It was like she was just starting to notice social interaction and how society functions. I especially liked the parts about her wealth and her self-conciousness. It made her very real as a character. The narrative was fantastic. It was like she was trying to make friends with you across the page.

The ending wow. If you closely read it as well there are links towards the ending and it was just really gorgeous. It was like everything you thought was just description fit beautifully into the plot.

This is a fantastic children's book I would really recommend it for both children (9-12) and adults and teens. Seriously. Read this book.

Five stars.

2 comments:

  1. I FOUND YOUR BLOG
    ps I liked that you liked it its one of my old favourite books :D
    pps guess who this is? I bet you cant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous comment. Quaking in my boots. WHO IS THIS? :D

      Delete