Wednesday 29 January 2014

Review #7 - Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate

Ok.

This book is good.  Not ok, not very good but good.

Eve and Adam is a book about a girl who is in a car crash and is shipped to her mother's hospital in her giant research company.  Her mother decides that Eve can create the perfect person on a computer similar to The Sims but much much more complex. It's about the ethics of genetic modification and also has a love story.

Firstly the book is split perspective. I hate split perspective like my cat hates the hoover i.e. RUN AWAY AT ALL COSTS. I had to separate out the two different story lines in order to like it. It just didn't feel like a book, it felt like a husband and wife bonding project.

I loved the genetic modification parts. It was the reason I kept reading. It was just so fantastically done. I am such a Biology Nerd with a love of The Sims (3, of course) and these parts really appealed to me. I looked forward to these parts more than anything else in this book.

I didn't really like Solo as a character. He was whiney and I didn't like his constant "us-and-them" attitude towards everything. He was very wishy-washy. I know everyone always go on about (and rightly so) that we need 3D female characters who are both strong and weak but this book seriously needed a male character with depth.

This book is a three star book. It would be a 1 or 2 star but Eve's dialogue and the genetics parts of this book pulled it up to good. Well done Katherine Applegate.

No comments:

Post a Comment