Wednesday 13 August 2014

Review #54 - To all the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

This is a contemporary YA novel about Lara Jean who when getting over a crush writes a letter. Her big sister, Margot, is going to uni in Scotland and dumps her boyfriend, Lara Jean's long time crush. And then, somehow, the letters get out.

The marketing plan of this book really emphasises the letter's importance in the book so I thought it would be the romance in letters sort of like My Life on the Refrigerator Door. In fact, the book has very little emphasis on the letters which I was kind of disappointed by as the letters are why I bought the book.

The pace at first is diabolically slow but it does warm up until the end where it has a good pace. I did have to push through the first 100 pages which is a shame because it is an enjoyable story.

The ending is pretty ambiguous which I loved because I do like an ambiguous ending. Then I find out there will be a sequel. This is not cool, Jenny. I was very happy with my slightly ambiguous but complete end to this book but then you announced a sequel to a book that doesn't need a sequel. 

I did guess "the twist" but I did really enjoy the romance and how the romance formed. It was sweet but not vomit-worthy. It was also pretty different to most teen novels. Originality is awesome.

The cover is really nice. I also like it emphasises the fact that we have a non-caucasian heroin in the book. I'm also a big fan of the hardback as it's purple.

I would recommend this if:
You want a romance that doesn't make you want to hurl
You want a book with a really pretty cover
You want a romance which is different

I gave this three stars

Buy the hardback here
Buy the paperback here

No comments:

Post a Comment