Monday 25 August 2014

Review #61 - Landline by Rainbow Rowell

This is Rainbow Rowell's fourth book and her second book for adults. It's about Georgie who's marriage is failing. Her husband has taken the kids to his parents for christmas while she stays at home and works on her sitcom that's finally taking off. One night she finds a "magic" phone that can call her husband in the past.

This is definitely a book for adults and not in the sense that it's not "ok" for teens but in the relationships and experiences. In the same way that I couldn't ever quite "get" the Bridget Jones mind set (or humour), I didn't really get Landline. What I really loved about Fangirl was the fact I felt like the book understood me and as a result I enjoyed reading it more.

I really liked the characters and the ways they interacted. I really loved the dialogue between Georgie and young-Neal. Again, that may be because I'm 17 and not 37 and because it was more intimate. Also, I love late night conversations.

This is a very introspective book as Georgie's family are away and it spends a lot of time in Georgie's head. And yet, the pace is maintained and it doesn't get boring. Four for you, Rainbow. You go, Rainbow.

This isn't a fantasy book even with the magic phone. It is first and foremost contemporary with an element that makes the relationships more complex and interesting.

This is a very Christmassy book so it's best not to read it midsummer like I did. If you are going to try it, try it at Christmas. If feels really festive and it's sweet.

I would recommend it if:
You are an adult who wants to read something cute
You want a christmassy book
You want a book of late night chats

I gave it four stars

Buy the hardback here (I got the US copy because I love the cover but it's gotten really expensive so here is the UK cheap one)
Buy the audiobook here

No comments:

Post a Comment