Sunday 1 September 2013

Becoming Ms.

I mentioned in my very first vlog that my New Year starts on the first of September. It's to do with the school year mostly and partly because I have had a childhood heavily based on Harry Potter. Today starts my new year. It's a big year as I go to sixth form this year in a new school which is co-ed, after being in single sex for 9 years.

I decided yesterday I would finally start making the transition to becoming a Ms.

There are three main titles for women. Mrs. shows that a woman is married. Miss shows that a woman is not married. Ms. is the title that does not mark a woman as married or unmarried.

I've been wanting to become Ms. for a while now but I've had all these "problems" in my mind: I'm still Miss at the doctors, I'm Miss on my credit card and how can I be Ms. easily? Am I really prepared to go through the trouble even though I want to be Dr. rather than Miss in the near(ish) future? Will people think I'm a bra-burning, communist vegetarian (though I am a veggie)?

I'm not a strict feminist. I am still a feminist though and I believe that women should get the same pay, women should be able to drive in any country, women should not be subject to s*xual abuse. I believe in women's rights. I don't want to be defined by my marital status. I like my surname. I would like to keep it. I am 17 in 26 days and making a little change to my life gives me control over my decisions. And there is nothing like the satisfaction of taking control of something in your life.

So my tiny choice over two letters in my name makes me feel much better. It may sound insignificant to you but I do have little feminist views such as choice over your name. It makes me feel good. Of course I'm not married. Look at my finger if you're desperate. I don't understand why marriage has to define a woman. I've changed my name to suit my beliefs. It feels satisfying. 

So, hello, little National Rail photo card. You are my first Ms. You'll soon be joined by parcels from Amazon and other web orders. My NUS registration in December when my card runs out.

So here is the start of 2013-14. Year of the AS and the Ms. Follow my blog to see constant updates on the Year of the Ms. plus many varied blog posts.
Goodnight, Ms. Sophie Charlotte out.

No comments:

Post a Comment