Tuesday 3 September 2013

Be more Rookie

I have recently got really into Rookie magazine. I love the content and I relate to the stories and feelings about life in a way that Mizz and Glamour have never related to me. Even with other blogs I have felt a level of disconnect and I guess I just didn't "get" them. And best of all I do not have to pay to feel like this.

I want to be more Rookie.

I want to write better and make people empathise with my stories. Make them feel like I feel when I read an online magazine. I've always wanted people to "get something" out of my blog. I want to have an impact on someone's life. However, I thought I was too young. "The world is run by adults and success is something that adults have the privilege of having."  Tavi Gevinson, the editor of Rookie, is 16. And since I'm 17 in 24 days it probably means that she's younger than me. Tavi Gevinson gives me a lot of hope. Rookie is two years old. She started it age 14. It makes me feel like I can release my inner Tavi.

Success, especially online, is not immediate. And blogger or vlogger can testify to that. Instead you can slowly, as you put more effort in, watch your view count grow and grow until you hit a number that feels small on the online scale but if you really think about it, it's big. And that makes you proud. Who cares if I've got 89 subscribers? You cares if a video gets only 50 views? Last month a blog post I wrote got triple the views that my most popular post had received. It feels amazing. A statistic is a person and a person is an impaxt and I want to make that impact.

I want my blog to "be more Rookie." This month I'm going to submit an article. I don't care if I fail. I want to be featured in a magazine that has shaped me already in our very short relationship. I'll try if it kills me. I'll try every month over and over until I can do it.

And if I succeed?

That would be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment