Friday 11 April 2014

Review #22 - Matched by Ally Condie


Matched is a dystopian young adult book where a girl, Cassia, lives in a society where they pick your job, death date and partner for you to maximise efficiency. Her best friend, Xander, is chosen as her partner and she is given an ID chip about him. When she puts it into the wall she sees another boy, Ky, as "her match" before it disapeers. And so the love triangle begins.

As dystopian society goes it wasn't nearly as inventive as Divergent or THG but I liked it more than Divergent and THG because it was far more complex. I really liked the relationship between the government and the people and how the people weren't super negative about their society because it felt more true to life.

There is a love triangle and as my friend Sophie (not me Sophie, this Sophie) once said "love triangles are unacceptable unless you're Shakespeare." With the exception of Sarah J Maas (who can do no wrong) this is completely true. I felt like she only really liked Ky because she wanted to rebel against The Society. She annoyed me a bit with the love triangle stuff it is not that hard to pick a partner.

I think my main problem with the love triangle is that Ky isn't particularly loveable. I feel like he's the douche with the guitar, artsy and will teach you how to write blah-dee-blah but he's more like a brother. I've just read books with Chaol and Etienne St Clair and Ky wasn't all that. He wasn't romantic.

The redeeming feature of this book is that it is really gripping. I always wanted to know what happens next and I did read it cover to cover in one day. If you want a new book to grip you, I would recommend this. I'm unlikely to read the sequel, despite the-sort-of-cliff-hanger.

I gave this three stars.

The book trailer excuse the awful acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment