Saturday 19 April 2014

Review #26 - Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Oryx and Crake is the story of Snowman and his past life as Jimmy and the Children of Crake.

Miranda lent me her copy of Oryx and Crake as I'd never read any Margaret Atwood before. She's often heralded as this superb author - Margaret Atwood, not Miranda though I'm sure Miranda is good at writing - (to quote one of my sister's friend's mum: "she's a seminal author") and I did really enjoy her style. I found it different which is what I really loved because so many adult books have the same style and plot: "let's discuss family issues". The sentences were just constructed well and differently and creatively and I loved that.

I really liked the way that the story flicked from past to present a lot. At first the present is super confusing but then it becomes understandable as more of the past is revealed to us chronologically.

The ending is really ambiguous and I'm not sure if I'm ok with that yet. I know there are sequels but Miranda said they're really unsatisfying. I just like it when books finish neatly and wholly and this book didn't do anything like that. I think it's a shame.

I found it at first hard to get in to as the style is quite heavy. There are books that are more "academic" and require more concentration, for example anything by Jeffrey Eugenides. This book was fairly academic. It's not a light read. That being said I did really get into it when it started to become a little less confusing and it did really gain momentum.

I feel like this is the next natural step for someone who wants a dystopia which is a little more adult and serious because it is a dystopia and the human race has died out. It's quite political, in a science way, without being a corrupt government killing you if you're rebelling/different.

I would recommend this to you if you wanted to read:
A dystopia which isn't YA
A fat, home-alone-day book
A book with a social commentary

I gave this four stars.

P.S. I'm writing quite creatively today which sounds really artsy but really it's 11pm and I've spent the last four hours travelling and I can't be bothered to grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment