Saturday 12 April 2014

Review #24 - The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

I'm thinking about how to write this review without gushing. This will inevitably be hard.

The Assassin's Blade is the prequel to Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. I saw her speak in October and I love the TOG series *breathes deeply*. This is a set of five novellas which are amazing. I can't write this review and quite justify how good it is because I don't have thoughts I just have heaps of emotions.

Ok. Here we go.

The Throne of Glass series is about a female teenage Assassin, Celaena Sardothien, who was captured and worked in a mine as a slave until she is made to compete in a challenge to become the king's royal assassin. This book is set before she gets sent to the mine.

Each novella is well developed and adds to the original series. I would read the books in the order in which they came out as I believe it adds more to the plot. I think you need sufficient backstory knowledge from the existing series to fully appreciate these fantastic prequels.

Out of all the novellas I liked the Assassin and the Desert the best because I know, I know everyone loves Sam but I loved the mute master as a sort of badass-dumbledore character. Celaena continues to be one of my all time favourite female characters and Arobynn is King of the Douches. I believe that Celaena should be regarded as the best female YA character of all time and I applaud Sarah J Maas for her ability to create such a strong female who  he readers can aspire to be.

The Assassin's Blade was a gripping as the other two books and is wonderful. The pace is fantastic, as ever.

Sarah J Maas does things with words that Shakespeare could be a little jealous of.

Five stars for you Glenn Coco you go Glenn Coco.

2 comments:

  1. this book looks pretty good - great review!

    also, mean girls quote, awesome.

    ~amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you :)

      always mean girls quotes. They're just so darn fetch

      Delete