Tuesday 27 May 2014

On buying too many books

I have a confession to make. I'm aware that this may segregate me from the book community as a whole but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

When I watch booktube or read book blogs there always seems to be one thing that links every single profile: everyone owns a huge TBR pile. I watch peoples hauls from a month and normally they're about 10 books which doesn't sound unreasonable, but most people read a book a week. They end up saying "I will read it someday" or "this is my life's library." This isn't true; you'll get excited by new books and these old books will sit on the shelves forever.

I did buy too many books last summer because I went on several bookshop tours and I got a kindle due to back problems which stopped me reading my new books on holiday. I then momentarily stopped reading in September due to A Levels and then I really didn't want to read these books for ages (as my winter books are very different from my summer books) so I'm reading them at the moment. It means I'm not buying many books that I am truly, truly excited for. I mean some of these books are really good but I don't think I'd repeat it this year.

What confuses me most is that most people who I read/watch pay for their own books because they're adults or are at uni or don't have amazing parents who support their ability to devour books. This means people are wasting their money on things they'll never read. They may have been able to afford those flights that they wanted to go on or take the train to Edinburgh or Paris. They may have been able to eat out at that new restaurant around the corner. They may have been able to see that new film at the cinema. Money is hard to come by and spending it on objects seems a little obsolete. 

I don't buy books I'm not going to read. I love getting new books and being so excited to read them. I am reading the books I bought last summer but it's hard to get into them.

Maybe you should try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment