Tuesday 20 May 2014

Review #37 - Lean In For Graduates by Sheryl Sandberg

This, dear readers, is the famous book by Facebook-executive-super-powerful Sheryl Sandberg. This is basically regarded as the feminist bible and it deserves all the praise it has received. The graduate edition has the original Lean In within it plus extra chapters that are relevant to graduates.

I am a feminist in the modern sense rather than the mysogynistic "if you're a feminist you must hate all men and be super angry" way. However it was really interesting to me for one) giving me and insight into the workplace and two) showing me what needed to be changed about the world. Side note - it made me so aware how amazing my school is at treating the girls so well. It was just really illuminating all round and made me very aware about how to make things better for women.

It was engaging and I think that is one of the main advantages to this book because it is so rare in non-fiction books. It made me think a lot in a good way and I really enjoyed that aspect of it.

Some chapters felt quite irrelevant to me as a 17 year old (like how to balance work and children; I am basically still the problem you have to balance work with). However, the graduate chapters were really good. Rosianna, who is a wonderful youtuber, is in this version as one of the extra chapters so go Rosianna (it's really good).

I think this book is extremely important culturally and therefore you should definitely try and read this.

I would recommend this if:
You want an insight into being a woman
You want to make your life better for women
You want a really engaging book about feminism

I gave this five stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment